Image description: This brain-controlled modular prosthetic limb (MPL) is controlled by surface electrodes, which pick up electric signals generated by the muscles underneath the skin. The electrodes then convert those patterns into a robotic function.
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, along with the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Labratory and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU), developed the limb for military veterans who lost limbs in action.
The arm is the first to be created and has the same dexterity as a natural arm, including independent movement of the fingers.
On January 24, 2012, Air Force Tech Sgt. Joe Delauriers was the first patient to use the MPL. Delauriers was injured in an IED blast in Afghanistan where he lost both his legs and part of his left arm. With the help of the MPL, Delauriers is able to live off base, drive a car and hold his infant son without worrying about infections.
Amputees go through training before being fitted for the MPL. The training records muscle movements and collects data before the MPL is fitted.
Those involved in the program are hopeful about the future of the MPL and creating more limbs for those in the military and hopefully eventually for the public.
Image from the U.S. Navy.
- alhadibashir likes this
- alphan3rd reblogged this from poptech
- cydoniatwins reblogged this from usagov
- lastrang reblogged this from usagov
- wasavoidingthinkingabouthomework reblogged this from usagov
- butbelieveme likes this
- aliquot reblogged this from usagov
- duffbuff reblogged this from usagov
- anyothernight reblogged this from usagov
- alex-montanez reblogged this from usagov
- southerngamer reblogged this from poptech
- thestarsarenotsobright likes this
- sadomasorandomistkonker likes this
- smisfits likes this
- hamburgerwithtea likes this
- lautuma reblogged this from thebuttprince
- autopsyturvey likes this
- theparticularlygoodfinder reblogged this from thebuttprince
- homura likes this
- tiarabutts likes this
- daydawns reblogged this from twas-bryllyg and added:
- irishsparkleparty reblogged this from katsuhero
- blodhgarm reblogged this from tatahuzumaki
- blodhgarm likes this
- thebuttprince reblogged this from katsuhero
- thebuttprince likes this
- ladycoolhwip reblogged this from katsuhero
- leechee-bunnee reblogged this from katsuhero
- villainedward likes this
- franeridan likes this
- scesusmcchrist likes this
- krabpot likes this
- rainbowpui likes this
- mygenerationis-0 likes this
- keepin-it-regal reblogged this from katsuhero
- callieohpeeing reblogged this from tatahuzumaki
- tatahuzumaki reblogged this from katsuhero
- mihashiwren likes this
- dserpente reblogged this from katsuhero
- cherryberryblast reblogged this from katsuhero
- semi-sweet--semicide likes this
- dulcedoom reblogged this from katsuhero
- mister-krampus likes this
- cherryberryblast likes this
- katsuhero reblogged this from ambieheartsturtlep0rn
- temporallyfixed reblogged this from freeusapress
- ambieheartsturtlep0rn reblogged this from usagov and added:
- syrupyjustice reblogged this from usagov and added:
- roosterstiel likes this
- vixenraye likes this